Wednesday 14 February 2007

BBC News Bullsh1t spin machine

God Bless the BBC, and their totalitarian control of the TV Licensing market in the UK, ruling with an iron fist and demanding their pay. I know of very few other systems where you can demand a subscription fee for an arguably unasked for service (WoW addiction is somewhat like this!). Not really... eff them in the A, the buch of cocklords!

I was having my usual caffeine break this afternoon when I picked up on the usual spun bullshit that most news networks put out, one that the BBC is usually pretty good a weedling out. I hate the concept of University topup fees at the best of times, and whilst it doesnt immediately affect me, Tony Blair and the Labour government do piss me off. Anyway, I found this article :

Applications to university rise

To which I really had to respond.
The Higher Education Minister, Bill Rammell proves himself to be a pompous arsehole, typical of these kind of positions. His comment of :

"These highest ever figures show that tuition fees are not putting students off applying to university, as many predicted. The critics of the new system are being proved emphatically wrong."


..is cringeworthy at best. These figures in no way prove critics of the new system wrong! How does a system with only one solution that has an increase in popularity instantly justify the new system?! Is this not called Communism?!!??!

Given we are in a "like it or lump it" situation, how are the critics proved wrong? Please, Bill.. just put me straight on this one! I wonder how many students would opt to go to University in other countries given a better choice. All this study goes to show is that University is now easier to get into that Paris Hiltons knickers...

In any case, I had to respond. I have posted my comments just in case the BBC don't publish them...


This study proves nothing about the popularity of tuition fees or the "new system", it is just yet another indication of the slow decline of standards in our secondary schools and colleges. Exams have become easier over the years (thanks to a mixture of dumbing down questions and teaching pupils how to pass the exams rather than educating them) and thus we are left in a predicament where the bovine masses all want to go to University thanks to their 6 AS Levels at grade D.

Giving the false hope that you will be better off by gaining a degree whilst accruing thousands of pounds of debt is ridiculous. I am fortunate enough to be employed on the back of my solid Software Engineering degree; I wonder how many Travel and Tourism Bachelors graduated, only to end up back in a job in something soul destroying?

As ever, I don't have all the answers, but Ill voice my opinion when something retarded like this has been slipped into the general stream of palatable media. Thanks Tony, thanks a lot for stinking up the Universities of this country with the idiots that should be serving me my McDonalds at lunchtime. Ill have to make my own butties soon.... geez!

No comments: